Monday, March 12, 2012

Three Birds, One Trainer.

I set out south of Fuschia City, riding the waves on the back of my Dratini. The first trainer we met was a hot dude wearing a speedo. At first I was distracted but I managed to rally long enough to have Pikachu electrocute his Pokemon. Once the battle was over the waves washed me away but I kept the image of his body in my mind, looks like this trip across the ocean could be fun after all.

The sea currents took us and we fought several trainers and caught a Tentacool before we washed ashore. I was all psyched up to challenge the gym but I realized we hadn't reached Cinnibar yet, this was the Seafoam Islands. I ventured into the cave I saw to check out what Pokemon were inside. Soon I was catching some new Pokemon, including a Seel and a Golduck. As I ventured deeper into the cave the air got chillier, something deep in the cave was causing icy winds to blow.

Growlithe pushed aside boulders so we could venture deeper into the freezing darkness. Unfortunately I was too busy daydreaming about the hot speedo trainer and didn't see the gaping hole in the cavern floor, suddenly I was plunging down through the frigid air. I hit the ice cold water with and almighty splash and came up gasping. I pulled out my PokeBalls and was soon on my Dratini's back, trying to keep warm and dry off. That's when I saw it, the source of the chill, the legendary Articuno!

I directed Dratini towards Articuno and as soon as we hit land I leaped forward, already calling Pikachu out and firing lightning attacks at the beautiful blue bird. It was a long, hard fight and by the end most of my Pokemon had fainted and I had used most of my Ultra Balls when finally, a stroke of luck, the Ultra Ball locked, I had caught my first legendary bird! With a great sense of pride in my Pokemon we managed to find our way out of the cave and set off westwards, towards Cinnibar Island.

We pulled ourselves out of the sea at Cinnibar Island, glad to see the PokeCentre. I healed my Pokemon, including my newly evolved Poliwhirl, and explored Cinnibar. The gym was locked! I asked around but apparently no one knew where the key was. One person mentioned the gym leader liked to train inside the abandoned Pokemon Mansion nearby. Before I set out I decided to check out the Laboratory nearby. Inside I met some scientists who took the fossils I had collected in Mount Moon and Pewter Museum and were able to clone some Pokemon from them, an Aerodactyl and an Omanyte.

The Pokemon Mansion was a creepy old, burnt out ruin. Inside were several trainers, sortin through the rubble for any treasures they could find. I joined the search. Fragments of old files and journals revealed the truth of the mansion. A team of scientists had used it as a base of operations. They had found DNA from and unknown Pokemon in the jungles of South America and tried to clone it. The creature they made was called Mewtwo and apparently it was very powerful. The scientists lost control of Mewtwo and it killed moat of them and destroyed the mansion. I also found a couple of documents that mentioned Giovanni. What could Team Rocket have to do with it. I pushed thoughts of the Rockets out of my mind when I found an old key. This HAD to be the key to the Cinnibar Gym.

I was right, it WAS the key to the Cinnibar Gym. Inside the gym I worked my way past trainers who had obviously been locked in for a while. Soon I was face to face with Blaine, the gym leader. After the effort on the Seafoam Islands and in the Pokemon Mansion Blaine was a relative pushover. Between Poliwhirl and my surfing Dratini his fire Pokemon never stood a chance. Soon it was nothing but a room full of steam as his flames were put out. Blaine handed over the Volcanobadge and told me I should head to Mount Ember, a volcano in the Sevii Islands. He thought I would benefit from a visit there.

From Cinnibar I could easily have surfed north towards Pallet Town and then Viridian to get me final gym badge but I thought I would see what Blaine was talking about. With some help from Bill I was soon off to the Sevii Islands an Mount Ember. The people of the Sevii Islands were a bit strange but they had plenty of Pokemon around. I caught a few on my way to the peak of Mount Ember. I couldn't find anything that I thought would interest me, maybe Blaine was just trying to distract me. Then I reached the top and saw it in all it's majesty, the second legendary bird, Moltres.

I wasn't sure how things would go with Moltres, my Pokemon were already worn out and I only had a handful of Ultra Balls on me. I opened up with Dratini, using it to paralyze Moltres and quickly switched to Poliwhirl to hypnotize it. With the great bird asleep and paralyzed I sent out Growlithe, hoping his own fiery nature would keep him from getting hurt. Slowly my Pokemon whittled down Moltres' life and then when it was dangerously close to fainting I started throws balls at it. It took all 11 of my Ultra Balls but I finally caught it.

With Moltres resting beside Articuno in Bill's PC I left the Sevii Islands to return to mainland Kanto. I made landfall and snuck through Pewter Town, not wanting to confront my mother about her meth lab. I was on my way to Viridian when I got a call from Misty. Apparently she'd been in the middle of a huge drag show with all her new hot boys when the power had gone out. She wanted me to go check out the Power Plant for her. I figured if I did it she'd owe me one and might lend me some of her boys. So I pulled out Pidgeot and got her to fly me out to Rock Cave, the closest PokeCentre to the Power Plant.

I surfed down the nearby river to the Power Plant. Once there I found it over run by electric type Pokemon. I fought my way into it, keeping my Poliwhirl out of the battle, knowing it would be vulnerable to the electricity. Deep inside the Power Plant I found many items scattered about and also some Voltorbs placed as traps. I was beginning to think I wouldn't find the problem. I'd have to go back to Misty and tell her the Power Plant was I salvageable. Maybe I'd even have Growlithe and Venusaur tear it down for authenticity. And then I reached the main generators. On top of the generators sat a gang nest. I carefully climbed up and found the Zapdos sleeping there. I quickly threw out some Ultra Balls and caught Zapdos before he even awoke. I now had all three legendary bird Pokemon in my possession! I cleared out Zapdos' nest and primed the generators. Soon the Power Plant was running at full speed. I called Misty and informed her of my success. Then I ducked out the side entrance of the Power Plant, mounted my Pidgeot and flew back to Viridian. It's time to earn my last badge.

No comments:

Post a Comment