Friday, March 9, 2012

Bikers and Ninjas and Safari Balls, OH MY!

I plunged down Cycling Road at breakneck speeds, I could smell rubber burning every time I tried to apply the brakes! Whoever had built this road was mental, I was sure I was going to die. I saw some bushes up ahead and decided to take the risk. I pitched my bike sideways, hoping the bushes would save me. I pulled myself out of the bushes to find myself surrounded by a gang of bikers. Cycling Road was THEIR territory. WAS. Butterfree made short work of them , Psybeaming all of their Pokemon into a confused pile of dust! Once they were cowering in front of me I used their fear of my Pokemon to demand they use their bikes to improve mine. Soon I had brakes that would allow me to travel the rest ofthe way down Cycling Road without killing myself.
It wasn't long before I'd reached Fuschia City, home of the next gym and the Safari Zone. most of the city was taken up by what seems to be some kind of Pokemon Zoo attached to the Safari Zone. I stopped by the PokeCentre for healing and found the PokeMart didn't stock the potions I wanted. In one of the houses I met a fisherman who upgraded my crappy Old Rod to a Good Rod! I immediately went into his back yard and fished in the pond I found there. In quick succession I had caught a Goldeen and a Poliwag.

On the eastern edge of town I found a look out where I ran into one of Prof. Oak's assistants. he informed me that if I had caught 50 different Pokemon he'd give me and Exp. Share. I knew I needed this powerful item so I lied! Unfortunately he had a connection to Prof Oak's PC and knew I was lying. I checked my 'dex and saw I was less than 10 Pokemon from hitting the 50 mark. With this in mind I made the decision to retire my Gyarados for a water Pokemon with evolutionsstill to come. I placed my newly caught Poliwag at the front of my party and flew to Lavender Town, deciding to take the seaside route from the back to Fuschia to earn my Poliwag some XP.

On the boardwalks many fishermen were out plying their trade and were happy to battle with me. My Venusaur and Pikachu shone like the stars they are, taking on and decimating all comers. Yes, I know that's not the proper use of the word decimate, get over it. Along the way I did a bit of fishing myself and caught a Horsea. I also stopped in a shack I found for a rest and met another fisherman who upgraded my Good Rod to a Super Rod! Now there wasn't a fish Pokemon I couldn't catch. I completed the rest of my journey to Fuschia without incident other than a bunch of trainers piled at my feet. I did manage to catch a Ditto though, so that was awesome. The damn thing was a pain to catch and by the time it finally got into a Pokeball I was contemplating just letting Venusaur tromp it into goo.

Back in Fuschia City I checked my 'dex and found I was still 2 Pokemon short of obtaining the Exp. Share. It was time to check out the Safari Zone. The Zone is home to many rare and powerful Pokemon, and for $500 I could keep as many as I could catch. I thought this was a bargain until they took away my normal balls and gave me some "Safari Balls". Well, every sideshow has something that weighs the odds in favour of the House, so I took it in stride and didn't let Venusaur just kill them all while I raided the Zone.
Once inside the Zone I knew I was in the right place, Pokemon were appearing that I'd never seen before! Scyther, Kangaskhan, Tauros and many other were coming at me from all sides as I journeyed deeper and deeper into the Zone. I tried to catch them all but the Safari Balls suck ass and I missed many of them but managed to add several to my collection. Deep in the Zone I found a house and the Zone Staff that manned it gave me the HM Surf, which would allow my Pokemon to move boulders, once I had the SoulBadge. The last Pokemon I caught before leaving the Zone was Dratini! I knew I wanted Dratini in my party. As soon as I was out of the Zone I went to a PokeCentre and swapped out my Poliwag for the Dratini.
Now it was time to attack the 6th gym and get my Soulbadge. I entered the gym and found that all the trainers there were bragging about their "invisible walls". I was like "Ok, dicks, it's called glass we all have it". I worked my way towards the gym leader, Koga, the Ninja. Trainers fell beneath the onslaught of Growlithe bites and Venusaurs raging Razor Leaf. Soon I face Koga. He believed I would be no match for him but I knew his secret weakness. Buttefree flew from his PokeBall and unleashed Psybeam after Psybeam, knocking Koga's Pokemon to the floor, all of them unconscious. Koga begrudgingly handed over his Soulbadge to prove I had beaten his gym. before I left he looked over my team and laughed. He told me the next gym was fire based and that my team had too many weaknesses to fire and not enough strengths against it.
I sat outside Koga's gym, thinking about his words. If he was telling the truth my team would not easily make it past the next gym. This would be the second last gym before I could compete against the Elite Four. I knew it would be tough and needed to give myself every advantage that I could. With sorrow I sent Butterfree to Bills PC and withdrew the Poliwag again, it seemed he was destined for a place on my team after all. Before I left Fuschia for Cinnibar Island I visited the Game Warden, who gave me the HM, Strength in return for the gold teeth I'd found in the Safari Zone. Now my Pokemon could move boulders. I payed one last visit to the Safari Zone now that I could Surf. On the water I found the rare Psyduck and then, in the grass I chanced upon a Chansey who i also added to my collection. I quickly stopped by to see Prof/ Oak's aid, who told me now that I had enough Pokemon I could have the Exp. Share. I equipped it onto Poliwag and headed south of Fuschia to the beach. It was time to head to Cinnibar.

No comments:

Post a Comment